Wednesday 10 November 2010

Christmas is Coming the Goose is Getting Fat...

... please put a penny in the old man's hat!

Christmas really is on the way now, and I've been giving some thought to what to buy people for Christmas. I always try to buy people books, I think a really well chosen book is a delight to unwrap, and it shows thought and sentimentality whilst also providing entertainment. So far I have bought my Mum A Simples Life by Aleksandr Orlov, she loves the adverts and I think she'll have a giggle over the book, and I've got my best friend the annual Ripley's Believe It Or Not book, which always provides hours of entertainment. Also, whilst perusing the internet looking for inspiration, I hopped on the the BookPeople website and found they have a deal on to buy all the books from the Booker Prize shortlsit for just £30, I can't decide whether I should buy this for someone or ask for it myself :)

Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan, illustrated by Sophie Blackall
I always find that at this time of year the bestsellers lists go a bit mad, and become crammed with all kinds of gift books, and much less literature. Not that I'm complaining too much as I love books in all forms; recipe books, autobiographies, picture books, annuals, not just fiction. But I'm always greatful for amazon's fiction only bestsellers lists.

The final delight I stumbled across today was the Best Illustrated Children's Books of 2010, as selected by the Book Review. All the winners looked great, but I particularly love Children Make Terrible Pets, Big Red Lollipop and Henry in Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment